Saturday, June 27, 2009

You're the Reason for the Teardrop on My Camera

Every year in June, friends and family at church, in our neighborhoods, at our schools, celebrate the achievements and accomplishments of their children. For some it's graduation from Jr. High to High School, for some it's 6th grade to Jr. High, for some it's High School to College and for some it's College to infinity and beyond.
Every year in June, I go to somebody's graduation, or somebody's graduation party. And every year, I am touched by all the words that are spoken by both the parents and the grads. Sometimes I don't really even know the families of the grads but I am still moved by their emotion. I always leave these occasions feeling like I know everybody just a little better.
Such was the case with Beth's graduation party. Watching her open presents, listening to her banter back and forth with her Mom, hearing the stories of the relatives who had traveled from different states and what her plans are for the future...I almost felt like I was eavesdropping on a private conversation. Such an outpouring of love and pride for Beth and all that she has accomplished...it all made me wish that I had not waited so long to get to know this beautiful girl.
I shed a few tears that day. I probably ate way more Baklava than I should have. I embarrassed my girls by teaching the Electric Slide to some middle aged women such as myself. I got to listen in on and participate in some family intimacy. I left knowing this family a whole lot better.
I love that.

1 comment:

  1. That is so cool! I'm really thrilled that you guys came, it was so nice to spend a little time with each other face to face (without the "book"!) And I have to say, not only did I likely beat you at Baklava consumption several days later (I coulda sworn there was five or six pieces there a minute ago, and wow, did I regret it the next day! LOL!) but that Electric Slide video is going on YouTube as soon as possible! I can't wait to make plans to do a big family dinner soon!

    ReplyDelete